Microsoft have released latest update for its Windows 8 that brings a lot of new features and improvements, and in this tutorial we will show you how to update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 on any device or desktop computer. [Read Also: How To Customize Microsoft Surface Windows 8 home screen with your own tiles?]
Windows 8.1 keeps Windows 8 interface: Home screen, bar charms, Office,…, but makes a few small changes to improve the ergonomics of the whole operating system. New feature which you can expect on Windows 8.1:
- The return of the Start button in the taskbar. Right click it will allow you to access various tools of the system and to Shut-down or hibernate your computer directly.
- The ability to directly boot Windows on the desktop.
- The home screen offers further customization: possibility of using the same wallpaper as the Office, a greater choice of colors, thumbnails that can be resized in 4 different sizes
- The integration of Internet Explorer 11 which supports compression of the SPDY requests to accelerate the loading of pages and WebGL 3D graphics acceleration technology.
- Simplified Internet connection sharing via WiFi (Tethering)
- The search on your computer, mobile device and Internet are centralized at one place.
- A greater integration of SkyDrive, the cloud online storage system.
Download and Install Windows 8.1
Microsoft Windows 8.1 can be downloaded through the Windows Store. The installation is automatic and our documents, software and applications are retained during the transition to Windows 8.1.
- Close all your active application before starting the update process.
- Launch the Windows 8 home screen. If you are on the desktop, move the mouse at the bottom left of the screen and click the miniature home screen and if you are using tablet or any other mobile website, slide with your finger from right edge of your screen to left and tap on home screen image.
- Tap on Windows Store Tile.
- Click Update Windows.
- Click on the download button.
- The download begins. The operation can take some time since you need to download more then 3 GB. Once Windows 8.1 is downloaded the installation then starts automatically.
- Click restart now.
- The update is applied.
Set parameters for Windows 8.1
- As you are upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, it will allow you to (re)define some system settings.
- The license agreement is offered. Click on I accept.
- Click on Customize Windows 8.1.
- Leave the update and security settings as they are already defined and tap/click Next button.
- You can disable the option to share your information’s and then click Next.
- Then login to your Microsoft account or local account.
- From this moment you are running Windows 8.1 with all documents, apps and options you had in previous Windows 8 version.
If you have any questions or problems while updating from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, use comment section below to ask questions.